Thursday, August 29, 2013

The storm and ahhhhhhhh the calm...

hopefully it's not just the eye of the storm... ha!  

So last Friday night i was on call.  We are now grown up little R2s, which means we can work more than 16hrs consecutively (duty hours regulations preclude this as an R1).  So now I can work a 24hr shift. oh joy! Anyway, I've done a couple. They're not awesome. But it is nice to just knock out the shift and have the weekend afterwards.  Anyway, last friday was AWFUL. A-W-F-U-L. All the way around.  omg.  God bless Michelle for offering to bring me dinner and doing it despite my protests.  This is the michelle with the newborn btw people. That's right, she's not only on maty leave, she's bringing me dinner while i'm on call. Amazing. And life saving. Bc if not for the oasis pita, I would have eaten only a bag of chips from the NICU vending machine all night bc i did not sit down. at. all. Ugh. and it wasn't fun busy. like deliveries. that's fun. this was sick people. retained placentas. post-partum hemorrhage. bad lacerations. stroke range blood pressures. bad baby tracings. not. fun. Anyway, finally it ticked around to 8:00 for board sign out and time to finish all the documentation. We handed over an entirely full L&D unit meaning every single room was full. including a poor triage patient stuck in the ultrasound room for lack of any other space.  I finally finished my notes around 11AM about 29hrs after i'd started the day. Then i went and retrieved my poor puppy dog from the kennel (B was outta town for a wedding, you have to have back-up puppy care :) and headed home.  I caught a quick cat nap on the couch for a few hours and then took a quick shower and packed and hopped in the car to head to a wedding.  Don't worry I grabbed a coffee on the way out of town :)

We had a wedding for one of Brendan's high school friends. It was SOOOOOOOOOO great to get out of IC! I hadn't left since MAY!!! It was also so fun to see all of our friends. I have been so busy working we haven't gotten to spend much time with anyone, so it was wonderful to hang out together and see friends and eat some wedding cake :) Ahhhhh. I made it until about 11:30 before calling it a night and heading to bed. The next day we made it home at a reasonable time. I headed to work to finish up some stuff then had my friend, Jeannie over to make dinner. And she introduced me to beets!!  So i have always thought i hated beets. interesting since i actually like almost all food (except circus peanuts. i hate those things).  And turns out beets are delicious!!  So we had beets (with goat cheese and toasted almonds), tomatoes with mozzarella, basil, and balsalmic reduction, chicken, and grilled corn on the cob (first of the season!!!). And of course red wine :) Ahhhhhhhhhh.  So needless to say, it was a spectacular (and much needed weekend!).  

Monday was a whole new day - started benign gynecology. What a wonderful thing. Although it has been filled with new things, which is always painful... still it has been less hours than the last 2 months (where i'd averaged 76hrs a week), so it's been a nice change. I've also had time to work out, which as been nice (painful but nice!).  Darn jeannie - introducing me to new root vegetables and convincing me working out is a good idea.  hard to make the excuse that i don't have time to work out bc i'm a resident when she's not only a resident but the chief resident and therefore busier than me!!  Anyway, luckily we can use the cardiac rehab gym to work out in (just have to sign a waiver saying youre willing to resuscitate someone if, ya know, they code while you're working out. lol. luckily it's usually just a few residents when i'm there. hopefully won't have to dig out my ACLS skills anytime soon!  Anyway, like i said, this week has been better. Monday and Tuesday I was in the OR, then I have gotten some time in procedure clinic and colposcopy clinic and Reproductive endocrinology and infertility clinic... tomorrow is more procedure clinic then on to the weekend and the start of Iowa Football!!  They are getting the new scoreboard ready - have seen them testing it from the hospital!!  We have one of the resident's wedding this Saturday so i'm going to that quick before my call shift saturday night. Yep. of course i dont have the whole weekend off. But i do have monday off, so that's something.  Ok, better get showered and get to bed! Early start tomorrow and it's already 2245 - eeks! nighty night! 

1 comment:

Viola said...

You´re a champ for blogging through all of the craziness that is your life, dear! Thanks for keeping us posted. I love reading. <3

xo,V