Sunday, September 6, 2009

Back to reality, slowly but surely.

So reality is creeping in bit by bit as the school year gets underway. I suppose it's better than just an overwhelming wave, but it would be a lot easier to be productive if that were the case! As it is, it's a little too easy to pretend that we aren't really in school. The other night I caught glimpse of my pharmacology notes on my desk when i got home from being out with friends and realized I had completely forgotten I was even in med school. I wish i could report that the fact that we choose to be here doing this somehow makes it easier to force yourself to study, but it does not. I sure wish the desire to go to med school also came with the desire to forsake all other things in life, but as it stands I'd still rather lay on the couch and watch a movie than learn about muscarinic receptor antagonists! Hopefully my brain will re-learn how to memorize an insane number of facts soon because otherwise this will be a very long, hard fought semester! Necessity is a powerful motivator, though, so i'm sure as soon as things start coming full force I'll snap back into school mode without much difficulty.

This past weekend was the first home tailgate - it was a great time! I have many friends who live just a hop, skip, & jump from Kinnick, so we spent the morning tailgating over there. Mom & Dad were in town for the game as well, so I met up with them for an early dinner afterwards, so that was fun! The rest of the day i spent dozing on the couch and trying to recover from the early morning and all the activities it entailed!! It would appear that we all still remember how to party hard, even if we're still trying to remember how to study hard!

Today i've been trying to get errands/laundry, etc done. Brendan and I were lamenting earlier about when you get to a stage in life where you actually do laundry before you get to your last pair of underwear. Ironically it hadn't occurred to me for awhile that perhaps not everyone lives this way. I've grown so accustomed to going through all of my clothes before washing things! It does have its perks, however. By the time i do laundry there is generally at least a shirt or 2 I've forgotten i own because i haven't worn it for at least a month! Haha! Anyhow, i am now at school trying to get research day stuff and some other school things done. Labor Day promises to be full of 'labor', mostly of the pharmacological variety. This semester's schedule is pretty jam packed, so I need to get going on studying for our first test on the 18th - we're already over 100 pages into the notes, so plenty to learn! I have my first simulated patient this week to prove I can still do a physical exam. Also go with our small group leader to the clinic to see a few actual patients on Thursday. Nice to have some non-lecture things thrown in, but studying hours are going to be hard to come by since we have class and other obligations from 8:30-5:30 many days! Hopefully all the extra sleep from this summer will help me through! Ok, well that's about all for now. Life isn't very exciting. Kinda just in the whiny stages right now where I just want to stomp my feet and complain because i don't want to do school! Hope everyone else's transition back into fall has been a bit better! I'll try to keep you posted as things keep picking up! Happy Labor Day to all!! Andrea

No comments: