Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Where did the summer go...?

Oh yeah. I spent most of it on airplanes and in airports. No complaints here (not really anyway) because I was so fortunate to be able to interview at so many wonderful places. After trips to at least 10 states (including a few of them on multiple occassions) fellowship interviews are done. Celebrated the end with a weekend in Houston with my good friend. Per usual there was good food, good drinks, good shopping, and good company. It was the perfect way to celebrate the end of a crazy summer. Still can't believe it's over. Or really that it happened at all. What a crazy feeling. It was definitely a whirlwind. I do have to say it's been hard getting back into the swing of thing. SO nice to be at home and have Wrigley back from my parents. She and I are settling into our new life alone but I am still struggling to get caught up on sleep and on all the work stuff I had pushed to the back burner. All the call shifts are making it harder... I was lucky to have such a great class to take many of my call shifts in June and July. The downside of not working every day of the few days I was home then is that I am very behind on doing call shifts. Ugh. So needless to say I'm spending at least one day of every weekend in the hospital. I worked a 24hr shift yesterday after having been on call Sunday during the day, so I'm struggling a bit today. I also work the next couple of saturdays. Oh well. It will make the time pass I suppose.

Anyway, now that I'm done traveling for awhile it's just back to the grind. I am tidying up the last of a few interview related things and then the waiting game begins. It is similar to residency (for those of you who have been around since then), where I rank the programs I interviewed at and they rank their applicants and then on the magical "match day" the computer releases the results and tells you where you're going. Unlike match day for residency where you find out Monday IF you matched and then later in the week find out WHERE you matched. This is just a one time shot - you find out if and where at the same time. Nothing like tearing off the band-aid. It's been difficult trying to make a rank list and everyone wants to know where you liked. That's also a little difficult because you don't really want everyone to know if you match to your last choice! Suffice it to say that my top few programs are in quite different places, so will be interesting to see where we end up. Has also been a challenge to figure out only being able to discuss it with Brendan over the phone. Would be nice to be able to have these convos in person, but such is our life I suppose. So anyway, I have to turn in my rank list by September 30th and then exactly 2 weeks later on October 14th I find out if I matched and if so where.

So yeah. A lot to do between now and then. Hopefully that means time will pass quickly, but I feel pretty certain it won't. Brendan will be back home the first weekend in October, which will help! Wrigley and I can't wait to see him again. Especially at home. Then we have our senior research presentation at a conference here, then match day, then the rest of R4 year... I am headed to Europe with a good friend in November over a shared week of vacation. First to Istanbul then to Rome. Won't be a relaxing vacation, but I am oh so excited. One last chance for a girls vacation before our lives take off!

Alright, well that's enough for now. Sorry it isn't too exciting! Thanks for all the good thoughts while I traveled the country. It was a really wonderful experience and I got to see a lot of places I hadn't been, met new friends, saw old ones... exhausting, but great.

Well I'm still struggling from my 24hr call, so I better get to bed. Hope everyone had a good summer. Another new school year... I just can't believe it's my last year of residency. Wasn't it just the last year of med school?! I caught my reflection the other day in the window in my white coat and was thinking how i have been a doctor for 3 years. weird. it's almost like i'm a real doctor who knows stuff now! I also remember a conversation with my good friend Dawn I think before I even started med school and her talking about how fast it was gonna go... turns out she was right. She'd say she always is :)

No comments: