Monday, March 10, 2014

55.5... excuses, excuses

so i missed my february post. oops. i owe you two posts this month... we will see if i make that happen! I don't have a good excuse, but as a bad excuse, I'm gonna use my work schedule.  I was looking at my duty hours report (which is my log of most all of the hours I work. 55.5hrs is the least I've logged in the last year for a full week of work.  What a glorious week that must have been! Especially bc that was over 6 days! Don't worry, I have had a week of 26hrs and a few weeks of 0hrs bc of vacation time, so it's not all so sad.  We won't talk about my max (mostly bc i don't know it since my logging sometimes includes a little...amnesia...).  Anyway, back to my bad excuses, i just finished up another month of oncology, which included a week with only 2 resident while one of my co-workers was on paternity leave, so I worked a 14 day stretch, which suffice it to say, were longer than 55.5hr weeks ;) But i love it. So it's ok. However, i did have multiple people tell me in clinic today how "well rested" i look. I also got a "you look like a new person!". lol. I guess an 8hr night of sleep every now and then does a person good (to all my friends with kids - don't worry, i imagine someday you, too, will know this joy - they have to become teenagers sometime, right???).  So as you may have guessed from that comment, I have moved on to a different rotation. After a 4 month stretch of oncology, antepartum, nights, oncology, I have moved to Family Planning. I think i may beat my 55.5hr week - today (are you ready for this??) I slept in until 0650 (a full 2.5hrs later than i got up every day last week), then I finished clinic by 1600. Went and worked out for an hour, and then did notes until 1830 and was on my way out the door. Crazy! Ok, i'm done with the lengthy discussion about my hours.  Suffice it to say, it will be a welcome reprieve to have some free time after a lot of months of working a lot of hours.  That said, it's been a really good few months.  I had a good month of nights and a really good month on oncology. I got to do my first robotic hysterectomy! It was awesome. Seriously. I won't get to do anything that cool this month, but that's made up for by the fact that I will have time to do things like sleep. And see my husband. And go to Puerto Rico. Yep. That's happening.  We are headed to puerto rico for part of my vacation week next week - can't. even. wait. I plan to lay on the beach. Drink. Eat. And lay on the beach some more. It will be glorious. Absolutely glorious. Ok, well i need to get to bed. I'm still working on my sleep debt.  Hope all is well with the rest of the world - thanks for reading all my long neglected friends!

No comments: