Thursday, January 23, 2014

This counts as productive, right??

I found myself with some free time this afternoon as I wait for my shift to start, so rather than be productive I thought I'd type a quick update.  We took our annual in-service exam today - basically a show us what you know about your specialty - which, I'm sad to say, seems to be very little after taking the test. But because I'm on nights I had last night off in preparation for taking the test today.  In someone's infinite wisdom they don't make you work all night then stay up to take the test, instead I get to take the test and THEN stay up all night!  Anyway, the test finished about 1500 and they didn't need my help on L&D, so I'm just killing time until I need to start my shift at 1800.  Probably I'll just go to work a little early so the junior I'm replacing can go home early, cuz, you know, i'm nice like that :) 

Having last night off was a little glorious (even if it means I have to work at 24 today).  I got off yesterday morning and finally got to bed around 10:30, slept until 7:15 last night. Yep, that's right. Then I managed to stay awake for about 2.5hrs before heading back to bed at 9:45 and sleeping until 5:15 this morning.  We joke about how you feel like you've turned into a baby with how much you're capable of sleeping when you're on nights.  There is generally one weekend day off that you sleep 16-18hrs in a 24hr period.  Never am I more grateful for my lack of responsibility (read: children) than when I work nights.  Man I love my sleep.  Anyway, our test today was 5hrs of test with a lunch break in the middle.  I was thinking about how semester tests (is that what they were called back in middle/high school??) used to seem SO long!  What were they - like 2hrs??  Haha.  Now 5hrs seems short! Anyway, it sorta sucked, but it's over until next year, so that's something at least! 

I still owe you all a bunch of photos from my travels over the holidays... although I think most of the pics I have made it onto facebook, which I think all y'all have.  Really nothing much else to report, just working nights, so my life consists of working on labor & delivery and sleeping.  I have this whole weekend off (which you normally do on nights but I've worked some call shifts the last few weekends), so that will be nice.  Will be nice to spend some time with Brendan as we don't really see each other during the week. It's actually a little comical that we live in the same house and work in the same building and yet can manage to go a full work week without seeing one another. Such is our life.  Some friends of ours are having a wine tasting party at their house this Saturday with the sommelier from a local wine bar, so that should be fun!  No other big plans for the weekend, which is nice.  Hopefully we can get a few things accomplished around the house - although likely I will just end up doing a lot of sleeping!!

Ok, well I'm getting bored of my boring life, so I'm sure it is no more thrilling to all of you!  Hope you're all staying warm!

No comments: