Monday, May 6, 2013

What we've been up to (aside from sleeping of course!)...

I'm trying to stay up a little bit so that when the time comes tomorrow for my pre-work nap I'm actually tired enough to take one.  Last week I screwed that up and then you end up being up for >24hrs which makes for a long day.  So this weekend I did a little more than just lay around and sleep.  Friday night was a cRaZy night on L&D. Oh. boy.  I am actually sore today from all of the standing and running around.  We had 3 c-sections back to back plus some misbehaving babies to keep close eyes on. We did end the morning with a good ol fashioned delivery but by then i'd have been just as happy for the day team to have delivered her. By the time I got home it was a 16.5hr shift so I was exhausted!  Saturday night after my quick nap we went to Davenport to meet my in-laws for dinner, which was fun.  Brendan's brother and his gf road there with us, so was nice to see them as well.  THEN today was the big day of activity... I don't remember if you all recall how horrible my kitchen is. By horrible I mean 1984....

Be sure to note a few things:
1) How the fridge actually overhangs the doorway
2) the height of the counters by noting where (below hip level) they hit
3) the height of the vent hood in relation to Brendan's eye level
4) the fluorescent light



So anyway, needless to say it has been our dream to redo the kitchen since we moved in.  We finally decided to bite the bullet and get started.  So last week I went in search of some samples.  You should know it took me about 8 samples to pick a bedroom wall color, so I was fearful of how this was gonna go.  I picked out 4 colors...

 I think it's fairly clear from the photos that there is only one possible color from those that would be reasonable to select (if you chose anything but the second one from the left we can't be friends anymore).
Here's the paint chip.  It still doesn't give you a great idea of the color.  It just doesn't transmit well in photos.  Anyway, because Sherwin Williams had 40% off ending the day I got the samples I decided I had to just make a decision so Copen Blue it was.  I trimmed the kitchen last weekend actually, and I was a bit nervous because it looked very BLUE.  I decided to reserve judgement until after I had painted a full coat and started on the other things.  So today that was what happened. I painted a first coat.  Oh. And we tore out the upper cabinets.  Turns out there are only like 6 screws holding each of those things in.  (try to overlook all the sh*t on the counters... we did pick that up tonight - I probably should have taken new photos).

So yeah. I have a blue kitchen.  A little stressful still because I'm just not sure about the color but I definitely like it better with a full coat than I did with just the trimming done.  It's still quite blue! But it may be that I've become color-phobic because of all the neutrals in my house.  We are going to have cream cabinets and trim with black appliances, so I think once all of that is in it will be better... I'll keep ya posted!  And keep your fingers crossed the new cabinets come in on time (oh yeah I forgot to mention we have those ordered!).  As long as they come the week of the 13th my dad will have the chance to put them in - otherwise we'll be living in disarray for awhile!!

Ok, I think it's about time to get to bed.  Hope you had a productive weekend!

No comments: