Sunday, June 30, 2013

Growin up...

me that is... turns out today is the end of my intern year.  Tomorrow I'm officially an R2. whoooooaa.  Not sure how/when that happened.  There's a very real part of me that is absolutely petrified of this and wants to cling desperately to the intern title.  There is this lovely bliss with being the baby. No one expects much of anything out of you (ok not true at all, very high expectations) but "i don't know" is a totally acceptable answer and they willingly tell you what it is you need to know.  Yeah, suddenly I don't know is now answered with "why not? you should". Yeah, we're not in Kansas anymore.  I mean it's good.  Like anything, you aren't ready for the transition or the next step, but you can't keep doing what you've been doing.  Still terrifying though . blech.  It will be nice not to be responsible for EVERY. SINGLE. L&D TRIAGE. my heart sings with joy at the thought of someone else ruling a patient out for labor or SROM.  alle-freakin-luia.  It will be nice.  Also will be nice not to be the lowest on the totem pole.  And truth be told, we have learned some stuff.  not as much as i'd hoped and not everything I need to know at this point, but something.  more than some thing - a lot of things.

Soooooo anyway, onward and upward.  Can't believe it but yet I can.  I dunno.  I feel like it should feel like it went fast or is a big step or something, but it just feels sort of like another day.  We'll see how it feels after a few days in the Onc OR... yeah, put on your big girl panties... R2 year, here we come!

(the start of the transition was graduation... we had a BLAST).  Oh my gosh, it was such fun to hang out with the residents.  I'll spare you the entire night worth of pics - most of you've seen them on facebook anyway, but we had a great time hanging out together.  The day after was less fun, but work hard, play hard i guess!
Brendan & I at graduation dinner. So glad he could make it!
We have a pretty attractive group - Jeannie, Michelle, Me, & Lindsey

Two of my residency besties - Jeannie, me, & Michelle
PS - Michelle is 30wks preggers in these pics, not that you could ever tell.

Anyway, it was just really fun to be able to go out all together.  There's rarely a time when one of us isn't on call, so the chance to go out with almost all of us was great.  Been back to reality since that though - we have been down some residents because of graduation and new interns not yet starting and people on fellowship interviews, etc, so it's been a busy few weeks.  I start my R2 year on Gyn Onc, which is a little stressful because it's busy and sick patients. Oh and yeah, now i go to the OR, which you didn't do as an intern.  So yeah.  hopefully they don't expect me to know too terribly much because well i just don't!  Ok, on that note I better get this old, R2, butt to bed so I can start out with a bang.  I'm also still sleepy from my Saturday night call shift and only sleeping a few hours today.  blah, takes a few days to catch up from that and i don't really have the luxury of time on this rotation!  Hope all is well with everyone else - sorry for the lack of updates. It's been busy and i was wo a laptop for a few weeks after a very sad loss of a hardrive...  ok, well hopefully more before too long!!! ~ Andrea the R2

1 comment:

Viola said...

Congrat's, Andrea :) Glad you're back on your blog...I've been too crazy to post much, too recently. You look great as always. Are you saving for Spain, yet?? ;)

xo,
V