Just about to head to bed after a fairly unsatisfying call shift, but I thought I would write a quick little update to report I have made it back to the land of Ob/Gyn after my stint in the ER. Finished up that rotation just before Christmas and then spent my first Christmas as a resident delivering some Christmas babies (4 to be exact, twins and two singletons). We did squeeze in some time for family around the holidays - in-laws on the 24th, and enough snow for the annual sledding! Wrigley LOVED it! She ran up and down the hill with everyone for over an hour! She was the happiest puppy I've ever seen! I will try to find holiday photos for the next post. The Saturday after Christmas we spent with my family, which was also nice. It was good to spend time with family despite our busy schedules. I actually had 5 days in a row off over new years (thanks to our awesome faculty who work a little extra to allow us a holiday call schedule with 5-6 days off sometime over the holidays). It was wonderful, and I will admit, very much needed. We had all hit a bit of a wall by the end of the calendar year and I think it was important for morale to have a few days off to be away from work and just recuperate. Everyone came back after the new year in a much better mood - myself included. I love my job, but it gets very exhausting sometimes and even 6mos in, we are still adjusting to the constant strain of having more things to do than hours in the day (though you don't have to be in medicine to feel like that!) and the adjustment to the extra responsibilities. Anyway, feeling much more motivated overall since coming back from break.
I am now on benign gynecology, which basically means clinic and OR for non-cancer cases. Getting to the point where I get to do some procedures myself with staff such as cervical procedures and laparoscopic tubal ligations and parts of other laparoscopic procedures. It has been a gradual progression, so much so I almost haven't noticed that I am getting better and better at things. So much to learn still, but nice to step back every now and then and realize I'm moving forward! Also had a great weekend this past weekend in DSM getting to see a few friends I hadn't spent time with for awhile. More on that to come.
Alright, well it's 11:30 and like I said was a long day of call (6:30am-9pm) MLK Jr day is a holiday at the University so it was a holiday call today. Was waiting for Brendan to get home from his call shift so I could see him before going to bed and he just walked in. More updates to come - soon hopefully!!
No comments:
Post a Comment