Thursday, September 15, 2011

Even the best fall down sometimes...

So I recently took a little tumble. Here is the site of the incident...
In case it doesn't come across in the photo - those are some steep steps. They go up to our bedroom, which used to be an attic. Anyhow, I was heading down in the middle of the night, and my foot slipped out from under me. Down I went, then thump, thump, thump, thump, right down on my rump. If that had been the entire incident, this would have been my only injury...
(That'd be a nice rug burn on the inside of my elbow). But when I took my slide down the stairs, this was actually how it looked from my side...
You can imagine the issue with that. I actually remember thinking during the slide down the stairs that I had too much momentum to stop myself before hitting the door. Yep, sure enough, I smacked into the door.

The door impact was responsible for the major injury of my fall...
That'd be a black and blue MTP joint. I jammed my toe into the door pretty good. I rolled around on the floor howling about that for awhile. Luckily Brendan woke up from the sound of the impact and came to make sure I was ok. I spent the rest of the night on the couch, icing and elevating my foot. Actually, I fell asleep with the ice on my foot, so then I woke up with a burning foot from leaving the ice on too long, which led me to freak out all over again :) Although at the time it happened I was pretty convinced I needed X-rays and narcotics (i think i've been spending too much time around ER patients :), 800mg of ibuprofen actually took care of it pretty well and I was able to hobble around ok the next day. It's still sore and stiff, but it's getting better. The fact that I have screws in my foot from my bunion surgery was actually what made me the most concerned - I was sure I had done something horrible when it first happened!

Well, that's the extent of our excitement around here this week. Wrigley is settling in. We went to the vet for a visit Monday to "establish care". He gave her a clean bill of health and answered a bunch of questions for me. I sorta sounded like a neurotic mom, I think... He said it'll probably take her about a month to adjust to her new life, so I'm sure it'll just continue to get better.

Ok, I better study because I have my ER test tomorrow morning and I haven't really done so much studying. This weekend we are tailgating and going to the Pitt game, so that should be fun! Our good friends Ashley & Ryan are coming for a visit, so that will make it an even more fun weekend! Alright, hope everyone else has had a safer week than me! Have a wonderful weekend!!
Andrea

1 comment:

Viola said...

Nasty toe! And pretty nasty rug-burn...ouch! I've got some dangerous steps in the house, too. Luckily, I haven't fallen (knock on wood!). They're marble, and I'd probably break my tailbone if I were lucky enough not to break my neck! :( I'm glad to hear you're recovering without x-rays and narcotics. Ibuprofen is a miracle drug. ;)

xo, V