Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gyn onc

I'm too sleepy to come up with a clever title. Sorry I've been MIA... been a very busy few weeks! I'm coming to the end of my Gyn Onc Sub-I. First off, what is a sub-i? A sub-i is a sub-internship. An intern is a first year resident, so as a sub-intern you are a 4th year med student acting sorta like an intern. It's basically a 4-week rotation during your 4th year of med school that you do in the area you're interested in and you have a responsibility more similar to that of an intern. Anyway, this is the end of my 4th week of 4, and honestly, it has been awesome. The hours have been less awesome - lots of getting up in the 4-5AM hour and getting home in the 7PM hour. But even with the long hours, I don't dread going to work or get too cranky about getting home late. A HUGE HUGE HUGE part of it is that I was lucky enough to get awesome residents. I absolutely LOVE all the residents I'm with on-service, so that makes it a lot more enjoyable. And they have been really awesome about trusting me with things. Anyway, basically the gyn onc service is all the patients with gynecologic cancers. Majority of them are ovarian cancer, some endometrial (uterus), and a couple of cervical cancer. I get to spend some time in the OR and time on the 'floor' which just means in the work room helping out with the daily tasks and notes and such. Anyway, I'll write more about the whole thing when I'm done with the rotation and have some more time. I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still alive. I'm really, really loving it, which is good. I'm definitely getting "onc'd out" by this point - as are the residents, but only a few more days to survive before I can SLEEEEEEP! Ok, speaking of, better get there so I can get up at 4:45 tomorrow morning. Actually been getting to sleep in more this last week than the first 2... amazing how quickly 5am becomes 'late'!!! I promise i'll write more soon!!

1 comment:

Viola said...

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying yourself so much. :) ...I remember the conversations way back when, when you realized that you didn't want to have anything to do with business. I'm so proud of you for pursuing your dream.

You'll be a great doctor!

xo,
V