Thursday, May 19, 2011

Home Sweet IC Home

I have returned to my humble abode in IC for a short stay after completing my outpatient internal med rotation in DSM. I hadn't been back in 4wks, so I have to say it is nice to be back for a long weekend. On my drive back I remembered that the jeweler had called to say my wedding band was in, so I decided to go directly to the jeweler to pick it up! As I came into downtown Iowa City I spotted something out of the ordinary... empty parking spots. And then it hit me, it's summer in IC!! While I was gone all of the undergrads packed up and went home for summer break decreasing the population of the town by thousands. Really decreasing the downtown population by thousands since that is where most of them reside. I LOVE summertime in Iowa City! It is literally like a whole new town. Without all the young'ns the downtown has parking spots anytime of the day, the streets are not congested, there is a reasonable number of pedestrians strolling about. It literally takes on a much calmer air. Of all of these, the parking is the most welcome change. It is so nice to be able to go downtown and grab a meter near the shop you need to go to. At 4:30 in the afternoon I was able to find a parking spot on the street just a block down from the jewelry store - yay! So I parked the civ full to the brim of all of my stuff (literally packed even had my orchid plant buckled in the front seat), and headed down to the jewelry store. As I was getting out of my car there was a guy digging through the trash can in front of me for cans, so I wasn't too worried about my packed down civic looking too trashy :) We ordered my band bc they didn't have exactly what I wanted in the store, so I was a little nervous to see it. Well, don't worry my friends, it is BEAUTIFUL! As if I wasn't already excited enough about the upcoming wedding, this was like icing on the cake (which for anyone who's curious the real cake is one of the few details I haven't yet taken care of). I actually am excited to have a band, though. It's not always practical to have my engagement ring on when in the clinics or at the hospital, so it'll be nice to have something a little simpler to wear (though I guess my band isn't the most simple of bands, but nobody is probably surprised about that...).

Ok, well that's my update for today - I gotta get some studying done before my computer patient test later today. Ugh, it is this awful antiquated computer simulator program for working up a computerized patient who doesn't ever understand what you're asking and you have to order each thing individually for the physical and work-up. Like auscultate (listen with the stethoscope) the heart, auscultate the lungs, vital signs, weight, inspect skin... it's very tedious. Then you have to order each lab test individually. Na+, K+, Cl-, CO2, BUN... no BMP to be found. How obnoxious! Anyway, I better go do alittle reviewing for that since it is 10% of our final grade. Hope everyone is enjoying the finally arriving spring weather!! Hopefully this slow transition to spring means it's going to still be spring weather in July :) Hey, one can hope!!
Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Viola said...

Don't have much else to say, other than WHAT A DOLL!!!! And, of course, I'm so sad I'll be missing your wedding. Do send lots of pics. Only 10 weeks... wow. :) Good luck with details. Don't stress too much and enjoy it as much as you can.

besitos
V