Figured i should at least find time over break to check in and reassure everyone that i am still alive because even though i was on break this past week i didn't get the chance to see hardly anyone :( Luckily winter break will be better and i'm already vowing to make time for everyone i haven't seen all semester. Break has gone far too fast and been far too unproductive for what i needed to get done, but it was wonderful to get some sleep and spend some time with my family and a little time with Brendan (and a teeny bit of time with a few other people). Unfortunately (per usual) i didn't get nearly as much done as hoped in terms of school or visiting people. Always difficult around holidays because everyone has family things going on and of course most people still have to work most of the week (it hasn't been that long - i really remember those days!). Actually, I was just thinking earlier today that today marks 2yrs since I got my med school acceptance letter in between work at 2 different jobs! It was the Friday after Thanksgiving 2007. I worked open to close at the bank in coralville without a lunch and then came home and hung out with the boys at 4 Valley for awhile, got changed to go to work at the restaurant (Graze), and while I was killing the last few minutes before I left for work I remembered I hadn't checked the mail. Funny thing because I'd been cautiously checking it every single day as I drove up the drive (looking for our tiny mailbox to be propped open with a big white envelope. Well with it being Thanksgiving week I figured no way they'd have sent stuff out and was just too busy on top of that to think about it, so I don't think I even expected the envelope when I did check the mail, but I still vividly remember opening the lid of the mailbox and seeing the Carver College of Medicine symbol in the corner of the big white envelope. I actually remember my heart racing from the second I saw the envelope. It was wrapped around the rest of the mail, so I couldn't see the name on the envelope at first (and living with 3 med stdts I felt the need to be cautious before getting excited), so I rotated my hand (in slow motion) so I could see the label. Seeing my name about put me through the roof, but I still didn't believe it until I opened it. For those who haven't heard the story I actually started to rip it open, thought "I'm gonna wanna save this" and went to find my letter opener before opening it the rest of the way :) I only got through the first line before I ran upstairs to tell the boys. I just remember it said 'Congratulations!' and then something to the effect of having been admitted to the class of 2012. Truthfully I can't remember ever being that genuinely excited or happy in my life! I didn't even care that I had to go to work at the restaurant because I was on Cloud 9!! Funny thing is I told Brendan & Phil, called Mallory, called Greg, called Susan on my way to work, then the next people to know were my co-workers at Graze!! Haha!! I wanted to tell mom & dad in person, so I waited until Sunday when I could drive home! I even had a whole conversation with mom on Saturday about when I thought I'd hear from the school and had to lie through my teeth to keep the secret! Ahh, I won't ramble through the rest of the story, but it was the best, best, best Thanksgiving weekend ever!! And it definitely made working 2 jobs on the Friday after Thanksgiving a little easier!
Two years later I have to say that getting the acceptance letter is truly the high point, but that's ok. The anticipation is often the most fun. The reality is much more difficult than I ever could have imagined two years ago, but nonetheless I am SO thankful to be here, even on the hard days! It never escapes my memory that a very, very select few make it to this point - even a select few of those who have the dream of doing it, so I am incredibly grateful to have been one of those few. And it is amazing to me how much you can learn and grow in just a few short years. I'm sure to anyone who has known a med student through the process you can see the changes as they go through. It is impossible not to get worn out and worn down and a little jaded. And I think we would all admit that even when we're doing non-school stuff we are't very far from school in our minds. I can feel myself being distracted no matter what I'm doing or who I'm around, and we sometimes just cling to the other med stdts among us because then we don't feel bad being school absorbed, but I assure you it all will balance out eventually, and our former selves are still buried in there somewhere! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being supportive even though I'm largely absent (esp this semester), even if you don't hear from me I think of you all often - even those of you who are thinking that doesn't apply to you, you would be surprised!). It is a blessing to be able to take this path, but like everything in life it does come with sacrifices, and I miss seeing friends and babies (while they're still babies) and time with family. And i'm thankful I have people who care enough to still be reading even after I droned on for about 30minutes!!! haha! hope you all had a great thanksgiving...I wish i had fun pics to post to make this more exciting!! Love to all, I will probably be MIA for the next 3wks, so I love you all, and see you then!! XOXO Andrea
No comments:
Post a Comment