Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Badgering...

I think by now most everyone has probably heard that fellowship Match Day has come and gone and that we will be headed to Madison, Wisconsin next July! We are so, so excited to have match day behind us but also so excited with where we will be headed. I knew people loved Madison, but let me just tell you people come out of the woodwork to tell you how great of a place it is, so that makes me even more excited.

As if that weren't enough, I am so very excited about the fellowship program there. It is a great program with exceptional people. I think it will be a very good fit for me both professionally and personally.

It is also just amazing that I am going to be a gynecologic oncologist. Now that is just crazy. It boggles my mind to think about how excited and proud my parents were when I was headed off to college (2001) or when I got my bachelor's degree (2005) (I was proud, too), and I certainly remember the day I got my med school acceptance letter (day after Thanksgiving, 2007) and telling my parents a couple of days later, and then I blinked and it was Match day for residency (2012), and now it seems I blinked again and i'm finishing residency and headed into fellowship (?!). I'd say that is something i never in a billion years dreamed I would do. Heck, I coudln't have because i didn't even know such a thing existed until just a few short blinks ago! It is a scary, scary thing to think about doing more training but it is exciting to know I'm headed toward the final leg of what has turned out to be a very long journey. The 3 years we will be in Madison will be years 9, 10, and 11 of post-graduate training (which of course means years 13, 14, 15 since high school). That is just crazy, crazy, crazy. But somehow getting to do what you really, really love is worth all these crazy years. Luckily for me I have a very supportive husband and family, and I have had a LOT of people professionally who put themselves and their name and reputation on the line to be sure I got a fellowship spot, and that is most certainly not lost on me. The match rate into Gyn Onc fellowship last year was just over 50%, so to say I am fortunate and blessed is an understatement. This is just the coolest, most rewarding thing I could imagine doing with my life and I think even before I knew it existed it was the thing that I am truly suited for. So I am so incredibly grateful I get to do it. And even though there are still years left, I know these too will fly by in the blink of an eye and soon I'll be saying I just blinked and I was done.

Ok, well, I better get some sleep. I had an unexpected 24hr call last night because of an illness, which means an unexpected post-call day. But it also means I am hitting the witching hour, which occurs at the 30th hour of being awake. So I am gonna take a nap with Wrigs. Thank you to everyone for the well wishes, thoughts, prayers, and support throughout this entire process. I am sure the last few years will be as wonderful as the first!

No comments: