Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August

I don't think I even have anything worth updating... July has come and gone. It was a busy, busy blur. I had just about the best month ever on Onc. Worked a LOT of hours, learned a lot, didn't sleep nearly enough, and made it through my first month as a senior resident. That's something. We were busy now that the Onc service has ramped back up with new staff. It was an adjustment of a month with new people, new roles, and missing old friends. Boo. But luckily we got some other new friends back with the start of the year (friends that have returned to Iowa for attending or fellowship positions). Anyway, Onc was really good, but it was so busy. I was in the OR from the start of the day to the end of the day nearly every single day. I am so tired just thinking about it. But the cool thing was that means I got to operate. A lot. I was ready for the month to be over by the end, though. My body and mind were both exhausted. And i missed my husband. It's also sort of isolating being in the OR and workroom all the time, so it was nice to get back to the rest of the residency.

Now i've moved on to High Risk OB (HROB). It's a different kind of busy. It is lots and lots and lots of clinic. Half HROB clinic and half Clinic chief and some L&D chief. All are busy in different ways. Lots and lots of things to triage and follow-up on. It's just sort of relentless. But you get Friday more or less to catch up on things. It's still a rough thing. Overall it's been an ok month though. And only 1.5 more weeks of it before moving on to the next thing. This year is full of new stuff. Last year was a lot of repeats, this is lots of new, then next year we get a lot of repeats again. I'd forgotten how painful new stuff is. ugggh so hard. Learning is painful. It's the most painful thing ever.

B&I haven't been up to too much. Fellowship is going well for him, but not too much going on. We haven't really done much of anything. We had my sister and fam here for a few nights then we watched their pug for a week. Took the dogs to the dog park together - Wrigs is a huge water fan these days! It's sort of crazy bc i don't think you'd expect it by looking at her, but when we get to the dog park she makes a beeline for the pond and then gets right in! It was fun for Wrigley to have a friend but I think she was happy to see her go when it was over!  I am going out of town the weekend of the 22nd to see my friend Jeannie in Houston, so hopefully that will be fun. It will be a quick weekend, but it will be nice to get away.

well that isn't anything too exciting, just wanted to say i'm still alive. I'm headed to bed. I went for drinks with co-workers yesterday after work, ran in to most of the onc division who was also having drinks, and before you know it half of them and half of us were hanging out having drinks and cheese fries until 10. So needless to say I was up past my bedtime! So now it's time to get to bed!

No comments: