I figured i should get in a march update while i was thinking about it because it's already pretty far into the month and i could see the next few weeks just getting away from me! Hope everyone had a good spring break (for those who are in any way associated with the academic calendar)... we had no spring break this year, which didn't seem that weird since we basically are working. I didn't even remember it was spring break until somebody mentioned it and then I realized that was why there weren't any cars around our neighborhood or the rest of iowa city! It's really nice here in IC when the undergrads go on break - things just calm down and it's more like a normal town. I haven't done much of anything exciting lately. I am still on ob/gyn though the coming week is my last week, so I really only have 3 more days since we have tests Thursday and Friday. I can't believe how fast the 6wks have gone! I started with 9days of gyn onc, which was busy, but fun given the residents I had. Then did 9 days outpatient gyn clinics, which wasn't so great since it was the first go-round in clinics for this rotation and it's always painful to learn clinic by doing it... then did Labor & Delivery for 8 days... 4 days of day shift (7:30a-6p) then a day off followed by 4 night shifts (6p-8a). We got lucky in that 2 of our night shift were actually only 8p-8a bc it was the weekend and one of them was the time change so actually only 11 hours! Of course the first few nights were rough - but by the last night i felt like my body was adjusting to the change so it was a bummer to go back to days (well for that reason). But when you work 14hrs you basically only have time to sleep, eat, and go back to work, so the time went really quickly. We didn't have many delivers at all while we were on - Zach (my fellow med stdt) and I are pretty sure we're a "white cloud" as good fortune has followed us wherever we've gone. Apparently L&D exploded the night and day following our departure from the service... same happened after we left gyn onc... just saying ;) The residents do 5wks at a time on L&D nights, so I'm actually glad they gave us the opportunity to try it out. After that we switched back to outpatient, so I'm currently on outpatient OB (with some gyn clinics mixed in). This go at the clinics has been so much better bc i've now done both OB and gyn stuff and actually feel like i know the questions to ask and such. It's getting to the time of year where I feel like I can be more help than hinderance, which is nice. Well in clinics at least, in the OR i don't think med students can ever be helpful - well except when there is retracting to be done!
In other news, my wedding dress came in! I made a trip to DSM last week Friday to pick it up. It was a great day trip - I got to hang out with Laura & her kiddos for lunch, then we hung out at the mall play place and finally they went with me to Schaffer's to see me try on my dress. Laura's mom & Rebecca were also able to join us at Schaffer's, so I had a nice crowd for trying it on! It fits perfectly - really will just need a bustle! So that's exciting! My sister's shoes from her wedding are the perfect height (and thanks to Smiens genetics we both wear the same size :) so I have that taken care of too! No other big news on the wedding front... just getting closer and closer!
Alright, well I have plans to go on a walk with a friend, so I better get going! It's FINALLY feeling like spring around these parts, so hopefully it'll just continue to warm up! My next rotation is Family Med with a physician in Chariton (south east of DSM by about an hour). I'll be staying in a hospital apt they have there... likely will be coming up to DSM every weekend, so those of you in the area can look forward to that! Okey dokey - hope everyone's enjoying spring! Til next month... Andrea
Rebecca, Me, & Laura at Schaffer's picking up my dress
Me & Laura's kiddos soaking up the sun!
No comments:
Post a Comment