Friday, October 15, 2010

Seriously where does the time go?!

Ok, I'm rapidly becoming one of those people with an abandoned blog on the internet (trust me there are many judging from the number of blog names I had to go through when creating this one!). Anyway, I just can't believe how quickly the fall is flying by. I can only write a quick update to say I'm alive because I still have more studying to do for the ortho exam I have in an hour (eeks!), but I wanted all my faithful readers to know I have not forgotten about you!

I survived the end of internal med, did 2wks of anesthesia which I actually really enjoyed thanks to great residents and great faculty and being back in the OR. I am now finishing week 2 of Orthopaedic surgery... I did one week on pediatric, which really sucked bc my residents weren't that great and there were just too many of us on the service so I didn't get to scrub into any cases (and actually could hardly even see what was going on during them), but the last week has been a lot of fun. I had an awesome resident, 2 phenomenal M4s (one visiting, one from here), great faculty, and got to scrub into some joint replacement surgeries. The ortho department here is one of the top in the country, which is actually quite cool. The surgeons I worked with actually are some of the best in the world in their area. It is also the reason the department almost always has visiting M4 students who are hoping to get themselves known to the department ahead of residency interviews this Dec-Jan. Anyway, it was a fun week even with the getting up at 4-4:30am every morning.

This weekend I'm heading to Des Moines for a weekend of wedding stuff. Wedding dress shopping with my mom and some of the wedding party girls tomorrow (Sat) then Sunday afternoon we are having wedding dress pictures taken up in Ames (or photographer is from up by there). I'm a little sad that the foliage this year sucks compared to last year (probably bc of the 75-85 degree weather we've been having), but as Amanda pointed out you only need one pretty tree for the background. haha! I'm happy the latest weather reports say it's supposed to be in the 60s though because I was looking forward to fall attire and it was originally gonna be in the 70s!

Ok, well sadly that's all the time I have for my study break... thankfully they gave us the morning off today to study! I feel insanely well rested having slept in until 7! I had to laugh this morning when I was getting stressed at 8am about getting to the library so late! Oh what a difference a year makes (tho of course I'm no longer staying up until 12:30-1am!). I start my 4wk Psych rotation Monday. I am on the consult service... I actually requested that one as I felt it would be the most applicable to my future in a non-psychiatry field. Hope everyone is having a great October! Love, Andrea

PS-for any non-family, Mal is due later this month, so I will be an auntie soon!

No comments: