Monday, March 16, 2009

The new way to make sure I didn't die...

So it's spring break and I finally have a few minutes of down time to do things like create a blog I actually WILL update! If I've learned anything in the last 7 months (ya know, aside from all the bones in the human body) it's that I have more friends and family than I can conceivably keep updated on a regular basis. Everyone in the world should be so lucky! Since I would really like to keep all of these friends, I decided i need a way to keep everyone informed even when I'm bogged down with school and can't make the phone calls. Thus, "Andrea the med student" is here to fill the void! Now I can't promise daily updates, but this likely will be a nice distraction from studying, so maybe it will be more often than not!

So I am on spring break for the week, and while all my fellow med students are off in Costa Rica, Florida, Hawaii, LA, I am in Iowa City (one of these things [places] is not like the other...) However, God has decided to smile on me and make it GORGEOUS outside here in Iowa. It was sunny and almost 70 today and tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer! So right now Iowa City actually isn't so bad, yay! The reason for remaining in Iowa City (aside from financial restrictions) was Match Day. Yes, Match Day. Not mine, but Brendan's. It is arguably the biggest day of your med school life. In a nutshell, at 12:00 noon eastern time on Match Day, M4's (that's medical school lingo for 4th year med students who are about to graduate) find out what residency program they have 'matched' to. Basically he applied to a bunch of programs, interviewed at more than a dozen, ranked them in order of where he wanted to go, subsequently the programs rank the people they interviewed, and a computer ultimately 'matches' the applicants to the programs based on the preferences of each. So pretty much Thursday all these M4s find out where they will be spending the next 3-9 years of their life. Basically you only have so much say in where that is.
So on Thursday Brendan will find out where he will for this coming year for his one year transitional year residency (starting June 2009) and also where he will be from July 2010-2014 for his radiology residency. The college has a reception and then the distributing of the envelopes will occur around 11:00. I am going to attend, so there will be photos and/or video to come.

Ok, that's enough rambling for post #1. I will tell more about me and where I am in the process with the next one, just wanted to get it up and running! Love to all who care enough to be checking in! Besos, Andrea

No comments: