Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Becoming a vampire...

Man, I'm long overdue for a post! Sorry about that!  So let's see - what has happened since my last post.  I survived my benign gyn rotation.  It was seriously lovely - a lot fewer hours than up in OB land.  I did work a few weekend shifts, so somewhere in there I had a 13 day stretch of working, which was slightly less fun.  But thankfully during the week I didn't have as many hour and even had a few days with a decent amount of free time to work on things, so it made working 14hr shifts on the weekend better.  Also, I have been a bit of a white cloud around the obstetrics department recently, so we had some reasonably calm weekend shifts, which is nice bc they can be insane.  Somewhere in there I also had a week of vacation, which was both nice and a little premature.  I think I would have enjoyed the vacation break a bit more if i were farther into the year, but nonetheless it was very nice to have a long break from work.  I got the chance to sleep. A lot.  Turns out I was a bit sleep deprived.  Then I made a really quick trip to DSM and got to see at a least a couple of my good friends (and their kiddos) including my favorite chica...
Brendan was also able to take a day off and we made the trip to Milwaukee for a wedding and a weekend away.  It was nice to hang out for awhile together.  We left Friday and drove up.  Then him and I hung out Friday night grabbing drinks at a few pubs and having dinner.  Saturday we met up with a bunch of my residency friends for the wedding of one of the senior residents.  We are a pretty attractive bunch if I do say so myself! Everyone but the 3rd from the left is a resident (she's one of our MAs). We had a great time at the wedding hanging out, drinking, and dancing. It's so fun to hang out with everyone outside of work - work hard, play hard, right??

After vacation, I had one more week of my benign gyn rotation.  So I suppose I should fill in what I got to do on that rotation. Basically Monday I went to the main OR with one of my seniors to assist with their cases.  Then Tues-Thurs I basically had clinic, which isn't my most favorite thing, but I will say that I got significantly better at being efficient in clinic by the end of the month.  Don't get me wrong, I still suck, but it was dramatically improved from previous!

After all the gyn fun and 13 day run, I had Sunday off completely before switching to nights.  Since I didn't start nights until Monday night, I had Monday off more or less. Brendan also had Sunday and Monday off so we could hang out.  I am now 2 nights into the nights rotation.  The rotation is Mon night through Saturday morning.  During the week the shift is from 6PM-8AM and then Friday it is 6PM-8:30AM.  It's a long shift, but kind of an awesome rotation.  There's an R3, an R2, and me (the R1).  The shift is just nights up on Labor & Delivery (as a junior-R2 or R1) the senior resident has to also cover all the floor patients (onc, urogyn, REI, benign gyn) as well as any consults from the ER, so it sucks more for her!  You learn a lot because there's slightly less other crap going on at night than during the week.  The other nice this is you have all your weekends off.  The not so nice part is the 14hr shifts  :)

Ok, well I gotta get ready so I'm not late getting to work.  Hope everyone is having a great back to school season - I can't believe it's that time of the year already! Crazy! Ok, well I'll try to keep you posted slightly more regularly!  Have a good holiday weekend!!

No comments: