Monday, December 5, 2011

Heading to bed, but first a quick update

I apparently wrote this and then never posted it, so here it is a little tardy...

I continue my tour of the midwest...Last Thursday I headed for Omaha. Brendan was in Chicago for a radiology thing last week, so Wriggles had to come with. After a quick detour to my sister and BIL's house to drop her off and swap cars with my mom, I headed to Omaha.

I took a couple wrong turns, which marks the first time I have gotten lost in my travels thus far (ok, I was never really lost, I knew where I was, but it was an indirect route taking roads I never meant to take). One of my wrong turns did lead me directly past where I would be going Friday, so that wasn't so bad. However, the wrong turns (or rather missed exits) dropped me on a road through town right at 5pm. Ick. Oh well, luckily I leave more than an hour earlier than I need to for these things, so I wasn't late. Thursday night I stayed with my aunt and uncle-in-law (Brendan's aunt and uncle). His aunt had to work late, so his uncle took me out to dinner. Then to get cheesecake at the cheesecake factory (Mmmmm!).

Friday morning I headed to UNMC for my interview day. Got there a half hour early (per usual, as above), so killed some time in my car before heading inside. It was a good interview day - went very fast. As usual, there was one person I had met before on the interview trail who was also at the interview (Every interview I've had I think has had someone I've met before.) Unfortunately this one person and I have nearly identical 'school' photos, so we spent the day correcting everyone about which person we actually were. We both interview at Iowa next week, hopefully at my home program they won't have trouble keeping us straight... After the interview we had an applicant lunch with the residents downtown Omaha before I headed back to DSM.

Once in DSM I met my photographer to pick up our wedding photos/album (YAY!) and then hung out with my sis and BIL and BABY LYDIA!!! and my parents and the dogs (Wriggles and my niece-pug). Wrigley played with the pug - marking the first time EVER we have seen her consistently interact with another dog. To say I felt proud would be an understatement. She normally is very anti-social with dogs (and overly social with humans). Kinda like a first born who doesn't want anything to do with his/her peers...

Saturday I did lots of fun wedding prep stuff with my friend (and former bridesmaid-turned-bride), Susan. Including ordering bridesmaid dresses, lunch, coffee, tux picking out, invitation wording. I'm kind of a pro at these things. Then I got to hang out with my other good friend and former bridesmaid, Jaime, Saturday night. Luckily her kiddos got over their stomach bug (and J & her hubby hadn't contracted it), so we were able to hang out. I probably would have risked it anyway being as I have some rare immunity to the stomach flu *knock on wood. Anyway, was great to see her kiddos and her and her husband and have some good beer, wine, and frozen yogurt (Jaime never disappoints on the frozen treats!). Sunday I headed home reasonably early bc I hadn't seen MY hubby in 5 days. We got to hang out for a few hours before he had to go to a residency applicant dinner of his own (as the resident not the applicant, which is way better :)

That brings us back to today. I studied all day for Step 2 of my boards which is coming up on Dec 20th. Wed-Fri this week my friend, Trisha, and I are going to Chicago to visit yet another of my bridesmaids, Rebecca, who is staying downtown Chi-town for a month while doing an away rotation. We decided to take advantage of these awesome accommodations for a girls week away (we had no free weekends so couldn't do a weekend away, and really it's not a week bc Trish hadto get her TB test placed and read and i had to study), but a girls few days away is almost as good!! Then Saturday I have a family Christmas followed by a Christmas party in IC, then Sunday a quick shopping trip to DSM with yet another friend before coming back to IC for my Iowa applicant dinner Sunday night and my interview next monday! Ok, well that's all I got for now! Hope everyone is surviving the beginnings of winter!! Be safe out there! More soon!




No comments: